Revealed: The biggest ETF launches of 2021
2021 has been an historic year for inflows into ETFs. The first half of the year saw a record-breaking US$639.8 billion dollars flow into ETFs globally.
The trend has continued in the second half of the year, with global flows into exchange traded products surpassing the $1 trillion mark in October, according to EFTGI
So, with just weeks to go until the end of the year, we can now examine the biggest ETF launches of 2021.
What are the biggest ETF launches of 2021?
1) Nuveen Growth Opportunities ETF: $3,368,000,000
2) Vanguard Ultra-Short Bond ETF: $1,928,000,000
3) BlackRock US Carbon Transition Readiness ETF: $1,652,000,000
4) ProShares Bitcoin Strategy ETF: $1,366,000,000
5) Horizon Kinetics Inflation Beneficiaries ETF: $915,000,000
6) iShares Gold Trust Micro: $853,000,000
7) Invesco S&P500 QVM Multi-Factor ETF: $828,000,000
8) Roundhill Ball Metaverse ETF: $701,000,000
9) BlackRock World Ex US Carbon Transition Readiness ETF: $593,000,000
10) ARK Space Exploration and Innovation ETF: $540,000,000
The above figures account for flows from each ETFs inception date to Friday November 19, and also account for funds transferring from unlisted products, where applicable.
Biggest ETF flows “off the charts”
David Botset, Schwab Asset Management‘s head of strategy has labelled the 2021 figures for ETF flows as being “off the charts”. However he’s tipping the growth can continue, particularly in the areas of ESG and income-generating funds.
“We’ve talked about the growth in ESG investments and we’ve seen that category take off, with flows over 50% greater in 2021 than we saw last year, Botset told CNBC.
“We’re also seeing investors looking for income… You’ve got a huge number of individuals that need income, that are transitioning to retirement and in a low interest rate environment, it’s challenging to find that income.
“So they’re looking at income-orientated strategies and we’ve seen dividend strategies draw over $30 billion in flows in 2021.”